Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Time to Charge

 
 
Indian Motorcycles is now in the process of developing an electric motorcycle. I discovered this news from this article. If you've read any of my past blog posts regarding the advancement in electric motorcycle technology, you know that I'm pretty happy when new stuff like this comes out. The great thing that this concept is that it has 120-140 mile range while riding aggressively.

Other electric motorcycles claim a similar range, but when you read the fine print it'll state that you can only reach that distance when traveling at less than 50 mph. Being able to ride "fast" (I'm not sure what they actually define as aggressive) for 120 miles would put this bike on par with its gasoline powered counterparts. The issue would be the amount of time it would take to recharge the electric motorcycle.

There is no available information on Indian's charge time, but I would suspect it will be on par with other electric motorcycles as they have not advertised any improvements in this particular area. I believe that a newer electric bike can charge in 1.1-1.4 hours. This is not terrible, but if you were traveling across the country it would get annoying to have to stop for an hour after every 120 miles. So, if you're an electrical engineer trying to make your fortune, I'd recommend researching methods of rapid battery charging.

Until the charging time issue is resolved, I imagine most of us will stick to our internal combustion engines. I am, however, quite intrigued with electric dirt bikes as I wouldn't want to ride long distance with them.

"If you want a product that's thicker with a bigger battery, it's also heavier, more costly, takes longer to charge." - Phil Schiller

No comments:

Post a Comment