Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Healthier Ride


For the past few years, I've taken the months of March and April to lose a few pounds. I usually have a doctors appointment near the end of April and I use this as motivation to get a little healthier. I've noticed that my health markers (blood pressure, cholesterol, etc) decline after I reach a certain weight. I am currently hovering very close to that weight, so it's definitely time to get skinnier.

Another motivation I have is that motorcycling can be more fun at a lighter weight. When I was in my late teens and early twenties I was overweight. That's actually putting it nicely, I was fat! A good friend of mine was nearly half my size and I made an observation when we rode together. Although between the two of us, I had the more powerful motorcycle, he could perform a power wheelie by just snapping his throttle. I would either have to use my clutch or forcibly shift my weight back to wheelie my bike even with the more powerful engine.

I remember being quite jealous of this because I didn't realize that a lot of it had to do with my weight (he was also an extremely skilled rider with perfect throttle control, so his size was not the only reason). Fast forward ten years and I lost a bunch of weight over the winter of 2011-12. I took my first ride of the following spring and quickly noticed that my front wheel was coming off the ground when I snapped the throttle!

The lesson I'm trying to convey here is that if you're planning on spending a lot of money on lighter components for your bike, or buying a new, more powerful bike, spend some time losing weight instead. This could end up giving you the same result for free and you will become healthier in the process!

"I believe that the greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you." - Joyce Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment