Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Writing Relief

 
I recently listened to a Joe Rogan podcast in which the guest was Dr. Jordan Peterson. This podcast was outstanding and Dr. Peterson has an extremely informed and interesting outlook on multiple topics and I recommend that everyone should listen. One comment he made resonated with me more than the others. He was mentioning his self authoring program and said that if you think of a personal memory and it gives you an emotional response, than writing about it can help remedy that.

I instantly thought about my motorcycle accident. Before I began writing this blog, the shear thought of what happened, or what could have happened sent a shiver down my spine. After recalling those memories and writing about them, I no longer feel that way. I can think back to when it happened, realize what mistakes I made, and think about what I could do differently if I was faced with a similar situation in the future. I think a huge part of the success of doing this is that writing forces you to be honest with yourself.

I think that writing a blog can have multiple benefits, but this may be the best one. Now if I could only relate the story of my embarrassing myself with my attempt at flirting with a girl in junior high or the time I almost drowned to motorcycles, so I could include them in this blog. Those memories still give me a bit of an emotional response (the flirting one was mortifying back when I was thirteen). Maybe I should start another blog just to air out my personal shit, but I doubt anyone would want to read that.

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you." - Maya Angelou



No comments:

Post a Comment