Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Gifts for a Picky Biker

 
Every year I go through a similar issue during the holidays. My relatives usually are fairly clueless on what to get me as a gift. My initial reaction is that no one has to get me anything, but that never works and it usually leads to me getting a gift that I don't want and will never use. Motorcycle gear is always a great thing to get, but it tends to be expensive and without any guidance, your well meaning aunt could buy you a leather jacket with tassels and some embroidery (no offense if this is your style, it's just not mine).

I've found over the years that it pays to be specific with the gifts you tell people that you want. There is still the issue that gifts geared toward motorcycle riders tend to cost more than I'd like anyone to spend on me. For the last couple of years, I've made a conscious effort to browse motorcycle parts and apparel websites for their close-out deals and note all of the stuff that I like. I give the list to my wife, who shares it with our relatives.

I no longer get gifts that collect dust in my closet and I can kind of dictate how much everyone spends on me. Although this does still seem like an odd process to me, searching for my own gifts, it has actually made my family quit spending money on useless gifts. Well, at least they're not wasting money on me.

"As we struggle with shopping lists and invitations, compounded by December's bad weather, it is good to be reminded that there are people in our lives who are worth this aggravation, and people to whom we are worth the same." - Donald E. Westlake

No comments:

Post a Comment