Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Crash Lessons

 

A friend recently shared this article on his Facebook page. It's a great read and it pokes fun at motorcyclists a little bit. This is great because we all should laugh at our own expense once in a while.

Number 5 on the list actually struck a little bit of a chord with me. It basically states that when a biker says that they laid their bike down to avoid an accident, it's bullshit! They didn't avoid an accident, laying a bike down is an accident.

When I crashed my motorcycle, I "laid my bike down". What really happened was I grabbed my brake way to hard when a deer jumped in front of me, so I put the bike into a skid that I couldn't control, crashing it in he process. I did not purposely put the bike on the ground.

I know now that there are a lot of things I could have done better to avoid this accident and the blame should be placed squarely on me. I used to think that if I didn't brake so hard I would've hit the deer, but who knows if that would've been the case. All I know is that I ended up on the pavement due to nothing else but my excessive speed and improper braking. There is something positive that came from this, I think I'm a better rider now than I was back then. I'm definitely still not perfect and you probably aren't either, so please be careful riding on the streets!

"I never expect to see a perfect work from an imperfect man." - Alexander Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment