Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Watch Out

 
I recently read an article discussing the importance of realizing that many motorists are not looking for motorcycles and will not notice them when driving on streets and roads. This reminded me of one of my own memorable run ins with a car.

This was the same year that I had a deer accident. I was unable to ride from early June until the middle of August due to a broken wrist. When my cast finally was removed, I was definitely anxious to ride, although I was a little hesitant because of the accident.

I know that some of you more adventurous people will claim that you cut your cast and still rode with a broken wrist, but all that usually does is lengthen your recovery time by not allowing the bones to properly mend. I know a guy who did this exact thing and his recovery time went from six to twelve weeks.

Anyway, on my first ride, I came upon an area that a three lane road becomes two lanes. I was in the right lane and the lane on the left was the one ending. A car merged from the left lane, across the middle, and right into my lane, directly on top of me. Luckily I noticed this happening and veered to the edge of the road. Just when it appeared that I'd have to kick the cars door to get the driver's attention, she noticed me and swerved to the left.

Another accident was avoided and all was well. Actually, this incident pretty much erased all my hesitation from riding, as weird as that sounds. My advice to you about staying noticeable to motorists is the usual stuff you're going to hear. Wear bright colors or reflective clothing, stay out of blind spots whenever possible, and rev your engine when it appears a car is encroaching on your riding space (loud pipes save lives). As always, be safe!

"The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it." - Dudley Moore



No comments:

Post a Comment