Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Back on the Road

 
It happened! I'm finally riding my motorcycle and it is outstanding! Like I've mentioned in previous posts, there's not much that can achieve the need to be in the present like riding a motorcycle. The stress from my day to day life fades away as I concentrate on the road in front of me.

With this being said, I'm not ashamed to admit that my riding skills are definitely rusty after the long winter. Taking off, handling corners, and braking don't feel as smooth as they normally do. I'm not sure if this is evident to anyone watching me ride, but I can feel it. With that being said, the fact that my new bike has riding modes is a huge positive.

My new bike has throttle by wire traction control and ABS. The riding modes change the input each of these systems have on the motorcycle performance. With the "urban" mode selected, the throttle by wire system not only stops the rear wheel from spinning, it actually reduces the rear wheel horsepower significantly. While, this may seem like a bummer in most cases, it comes in handy during a heavy rain, or when you need to re-acclimate yourself to your motorcycle. Also given the fact that the local roads still aren't completely clear of debris, this is the right choice right now. I'll have plenty of time to ride like an asshole as soon as I'm used to the bike again.

On a side note, I'd like to mention that if the me from 15 years ago read this, I'd berate myself for being a complete sissy. It's funny how time and life experience (also technological advances) can change a person's perspective. Part of my hope with this blog is to share some of my life experience to keep young riders from making the same stupid mistakes I made. Then again, I doubt I'd have listened at that age!

"My life is on the road, man. I need to keep moving." - Matthew McConaughey



No comments:

Post a Comment