Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Weights and Music

When I was around 16 years old, I wasn't into motorcycling that much. I had sold my duel sport, a 1986 Yamaha XT 600, and I was focused on other things. Lifting weights and music took up way more of my free time than motorcycles. Honestly, most of my friends at this time just weren't into bikes.
I'm not trying to say that I didn't like motorcycles. I still thought that they were awesome, but at that age it seems that you follow your friends. Weight training was a huge focus for me and my other friends who played football. My non-football friends were mostly musicians, so I also focused on playing the guitar.
My parents owned a gas station/grocery store and we lived next door to it. One of my favorite ways to pass time was to sit on the porch and watch people pull up to the gas pumps (really exciting, I know). One day, a guy who lived down the road pulled up on his new bike (new to him). He was about four years older than me and it seemed that he was always getting new toys. It was an early '90's Honda CBR with a terrible custom paint job. He looked over at me and asked if I wanted to take it for a ride. Of course I took him up on his offer!
This was my first sportbike ride and I loved it! I had never experienced that kind of acceleration before. Instantly, my other hobbies took a backseat to motorcycling once again. I needed to get another bike soon!
So, if you ever feel yourself losing your desire to ride, find a shop doing demo days or one that allows test rides. Take a new bike for a ride and watch your passion come back with a vengeance! Keep riding, my friends.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”― Hunter S. Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment