Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Proper Gear for the Temperature


This article is a pretty good one. It details an experienced rider’s insight into things he wishes he would’ve known when he started riding. I’m only going to discuss the first on on the list, “Dress Warmer (Or Colder) Than You Think You Need To.”

This is something that I’m ashamed to say that I still haven’t quite gotten right. I do have cold weather riding dialed in, however. I dress as if it’s winter if the temperature is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit and that serves me well. I never complain about being too warm in these situations. From 50 to 80 degrees, I also am fairly good about wearing proper apparel. Usually this entails my riding jacket with no liner.

The temperatures that I tend to be ill prepared for are those above 80 degrees. Usually, if I wear my typical riding gear, I’m too warm. This is especially true if I'm riding in traffic. If I strip down to just a shirt, I tend to be too cool (not to mention unprotected). I do have a couple of thin motocross chest protectors that I’ll wear in the summer that’ll save me from taking bugs and rocks in the chest, but this also tends to overheat me when the temperature is above 88ish. Also, my arms will still be unprotected.

I guess my advice to all of you (and myself) is to wear as much protective gear as you can bare in the summer months. Asphalt hurts just as much when it’s hot as it does when it’s cold.

“It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice.” - Ron Burgundy in Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

No comments:

Post a Comment