Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Moto Safety for Kids

 
 
I bought my son his first helmet for Christmas. He was absolutely stoked and he ran around the house telling everyone that he had a dirt bike and he was going to wear this helmet when he rode it. Here’s how the conversation would go.
 
My son would ask a family member or friend, “Do you know I have a dirt bike?”
 
They’d say yes.
 
Then he’d ask, “Do you know how it works?”
 
They’d humor him.
 
He’d reply, “If you twist the handle, it’ll go really fast and if you let go, it’ll go slow.”
 
I’d struggle to keep a straight face. I was super proud of his enthusiasm. However, another thought creeped in my head. “How in the world am I going to keep this kid safe?” I’m sure he’s going to push this bike to its limit as soon as he gets the chance.
 
Then I thought back to my childhood and my father’s strictly enforced rules. Always wear a helmet, a protective shirt or jacket, gloves, and jeans. I also remember seeing my friends riding in t-shirts in the summer and being jealous. If my dad caught me doing that, there’d be hell to pay. I guess I’m going to have to do the same. It’s not pleasant being the “fun sheriff” but my son’s safety is far more important than pleasantries!
 
“It's not wise to violate rules until you know how to observe them.” - T. S. Eliot


No comments:

Post a Comment