Thursday, January 18, 2018

Beginning of the End for Printed Motorcycle Magazines


I’m on an airplane right now, bored out of my mind. I might as well blog, right? The problem is that I don’t have a topic...Well motorcycles is the topic, but I’m not exactly sure what to write about. I did read that Cycle World magazine is moving to a quarterly printed version instead of monthly. In my opinion, Cycle World is the pinnacle of motorcycle magazines, so this move must really be pointing to a huge shift toward online content.
 
I’m not sure how I feel about that. I know that sounds funny from a guy who creates online content about motorcycles, but I grew up reading and subscribing to Cycle World. This was my source for a perspective on all types of motorcycles. Also, most reviews at least seemed to be objective and unbiased. I really didn’t see that from others. Either they’d be specialized or tend to be biased for or against certain brands.
 
I also read that the quarterly issues will be more of a coffee table book format, which could definitely be a positive change. Online content will still be available as well, so the brand isn’t going anywhere yet. More than anything I’m awaiting what the outcome of this change will be because I’d be willing to bet that the rest of the motorcycle journalism world will be affected whether it’s good or bad.
 
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment