Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Moto Fun in Winter?


It’s the second day of the first blizzard of the season. Winter is really here. I had an inkling of hope that I was going to get one more motorcycle ride this year, but Mother Nature decided otherwise. I’ve mentioned it earlier that it has been a pretty disappointing year for riding. Bad weather, work, and some home projects got in way of proper motorcycling time. Something encouraging is happening this winter, however. A good friend of mine has bought a Timbersled conversion kit for his dirt bike.

I believe I’ve described a Timbersled before, but I’ll risk repeating myself. It is a track and ski that replace the front and rear wheel on an off-road motorcycle. These types of kits have been around for quite a while, but Timbersled (who was actually purchased by Polaris) seems to have perfected the system. I’ve considered buying one in the past, but at a price tag of $4000 on top of needing a 400+ cc dirt bike makes it too rich for my blood.

Now why would I be excited that my friend has one? Because I know that he’ll demand that I take this out for a test ride. I know he’ll do this because it’s what he always does when he gets something new and it’s exactly what I do as well. The best thing about purchasing something cool (except experiencing it yourself) is seeing the thrill on your friends’ faces when they test it out. Now, before you decide to lecture me on not letting friends hurt themselves and wreck your new ride, let me assure you that my group of friends are very experienced when it comes to motorcycles, snowmobiles, and ATV’s. In fact if one of them isn’t comfortable riding something, they’ll decline your offer so they won’t wreck your property.

Anyway, I’m pretty stoked to take the dirt bike with the Timbersled kit for a ride!

“Winter is nature's way of saying, up yours.” - Robert Byrne

No comments:

Post a Comment