Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Millennials and Motorcycles

Apparently, the millennial generation is not buying motorcycles like previous ones. I’ve read this in multiple articles that were trying to explain the recent dip in sales for Harley Davidson. Although I’m all for anyone and everyone riding motorcycles (the more, the merrier I say), I think that this dip in interest could be a good thing.

If less people are buying motorcycles then companies will need to innovate to keep existing interest and to attract new people. This may mean increasing performance, styling, safety, or all the above. Necessity breeds innovation. I’m looking forward to what the future may hold.

If less people are interested (less demand) than prices will also drop. It’s simple economics. This will especially hold true for used bikes. I noticed this when I was in the market for a new bike. Ducati Monsters with less than a thousand miles were selling for under $7000. I nearly bought one, but I was too attracted to a new model, so I didn’t make the smart financial choice. My next bike will definitely be used.

I highly doubt that the market is really that bad. I’m probably going to the International Motorcycle Show in Chicago next February (I’ve been going nearly every year since 1999). If I do attend, I imagine that the crowds will be just as large as ever. The motorcycle industry isn’t going anywhere, but we may see some changes in the near future.

“Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.” - George Orwell

No comments:

Post a Comment