Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Moto Wisdom

Last week I said that it was predicted to be unseasonably warm on Friday. Predictions were wrong. It was around 70 degrees and rainy. I did not go for a motorcycle ride that evening. As disappointed as I was, I was assured that the weekend was still going to be hot and rain free. My wife and I went for a nice motorcycle ride on Sunday afternoon. It was quite the enjoyable ride, but as I reflected on it later that day I came to a realization...I must be getting old.
 
Normally, when no other motorcycles are with me and I don't have to worry about people keeping up, I tend to ride pretty aggressively. On Sunday I was pretty content taking a leisurely ride without trying to drag my knee on every corner. Maybe I'm just mature, not old.
 
A conversation that I had with my dad earlier in the weekend may have persuaded me to take it easy. He made a passing comment that no matter where, or how fast you are riding it will still be fun. My dad is usually full of wise comments like this, so I'm not surprised that I let this sink in and it influenced me on my ride. I've learned that, as much as I failed to notice in years past, when he gives a bit of wisdom, it is smart to listen.
 
So my wisdom for you is, listen to your dad, or your elders. Wisdom is earned through time and they've been around longer to gain it. More times than I'd like to admit, I could have avoided some inconvenience if I'd just listened to some wise advice.
 
"Don't gain the World and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

No comments:

Post a Comment