Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Turbo Summer

 
A common thing that I've been hearing in the past few weeks is the question, "Where did the summer go?" Initially I felt the same. It's near the end of August and it seems that June and July passed by in a blink. The thing that was really driving me crazy was the fact that I didn't get enough riding in. I didn't even come close to the number of miles that I've ridden in years past. I was actually getting down on myself for not riding enough, when I came to the realization that there was no reason for it.
 
First, riding season is not over. Even if you live in a place like me, where it's possible to see snow in late October, it is rare. We conceivably have three months of riding before the snow flies. Late summer and fall riding is actually my favorite, so there is still a lot to enjoy.
 
Second, life happens. This summer has been a crazy busy one. I've been swamped at my job, had multiple home projects, and even had a bit of a crisis happen, all within a couple of months. Motorcycles have been put on he back burner for now. It's not that I haven't ridden at all, but it's not a priority.
 
Finally, I just have to step back and realize that motorcycling is a hobby. I know I've said in the past that it's important to prioritize your hobbies so that you actually get to do them. There are, however, things that will always carry higher priority. Family, work, and other responsibilities must come first. Honestly, after attending to these, I've had very little extra time.
 
The time will come when I'll have some more free time. Then I will prioritize motorcycles. Now, I can just focus on getting the most out of the riding that I'm doing. Also, the summer didn't fly by, we've just been too busy to notice it.
 
"August, the summer's last messenger of misery, is a hollow actor." - Henry Rollins

No comments:

Post a Comment