Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Autonomous Motorcycles?

If you've read many of my blog posts, you'd remember that I'm usually a fairly big fan of technology enhancements in motorcycles. I just read this article which details the oncoming increase of electronic sensors on motorcycles. One statement in the first paragraph jumped out to me as alarming. It is, "The primary goal of the automotive industry is an autonomous motorcycle electronically driven by the onboard computers."

Previously I've mentioned that autonomous cars could be a huge benefit for motorcyclists' safety as it would take the chance of other motorists hitting them out of the equation. However, to me, an autonomous motorcycle defeats the purpose. This would make you a passenger in your own motorcycle! What would be the point of having a motorcycle if it operated by itself? Now I can relate to the car guys who vehemently object to autonomous cars.

If I step back and look at it from someone who enjoys being a passenger on a motorcycle (my wife for example), I can see the benefit of enjoying motorcycling without needing someone to ride with. But then again, how are us biker guys supposed to pick up chicks if they don't need us operating the motorcycle?!!! Nope, I'm definitely not a fan of the idea of autonomous motorcycles!

"As machines become more and more efficient and perfect, so it will become clear that imperfection is the greatness of man." - Ernst Fischer

No comments:

Post a Comment