Wednesday, June 7, 2017

YouTube Advice


I read the following article a couple of days ago. It has some pretty good tips on doing your own motorcycle maintenance. These especially good for beginners or people without much mechanical knowledge. There is one tip I'd like to add that I think would be applicable nowadays. It is to search YouTube for instructional videos on the motorcycle you're working on.
 
One of the only instances that this method won't apply is if/when you buy a brand new motorcycle in its first year of production. I ran into this problem when I first purchased my 2015 Ducati Monster 821. This was the first year that Ducati sold this bike, so there were no specific videos pertaining to it. However, with a little research, I discovered that the engine was nearly identical to the Hypermotard 821 which had already been manufactured for a number of years. Also, the Monster 1200 model is a year older than the 821 and its chassis is nearly the same. I was able to gather up a few videos from each of these models that would help immensely if I needed to repair anything.
 
I also know from an inside source that even professional technicians will utilize YouTube for instruction. A friend of a friend was a technician for a certain motorcycle company that he was specifically trained for. He took a new position with a smaller, less known manufacturer that didn't have any formal training for their motorcycle technicians. He found all he needed on YouTube. The videos along with his mechanical ability allowed him to thrive in his new position.
 
So, if you're nervous to touch a wrench to your bike, watch a video of someone else doing it first. I promise you'll be more confident after you do!
 
"You've got your Brain, Google, and most importantly, you've got YouTube. Use 'em!" - Olawale Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment