Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Crash News

 
I believe I've written about this before, but I think it needs to be addressed again. On occasion, I'll Google search motorcycle to find inspiration for subjects to write about. Sometimes I'll click the news tab to see if anything cool is happening or if there's a new technology in the motorcycle industry. Today, of the 30 articles that I browsed, 26 of them were about motorcycle crashes. That just about ruined my day.
 
A saying that I've heard from multiple people criticizing news outlets is, "if it bleeds, it leads." I'm afraid that this statement is abundantly true when it comes to motorcycles. I understand that an online article's main purpose is to generate internet traffic, but quite a few of these reports were fairly gruesome and left me sick to my stomach.
 
There is a part of me that sees these stories as necessary. They're showing us riders that we need to place safety as one of our highest priorities. However, I really hate how this places motorcycling in such a negative light. An adult, who has never ridden a motorcycle, would probably never even dream of touching one after reading a couple of these articles.
 
For those of us that love motorcycles, all we can do is not let these type of articles discourage us. Don't let bad press ruin your fun, but please stay safe!
 
"The Press, Watson, is a most valuable institution, if you only know how to use it." - Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventure of the Six Napoleons / The Adventure of the Crooked Man

No comments:

Post a Comment