Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Motorcycles and Kids


I bought my kids a motorcycle. Well, actually that's incorrect. I'm probably going to buy my kids a motorcycle in the next couple of days. A friend of mine contacted me last weekend and said he had a bike that he'd sell me for almost nothing. Let me say that I'm thrilled to introduce my kids my favorite hobby.
 
Don't get me wrong, I won't force this on them. If they don't want to ride the motorcycle, they won't have to. I'm pretty positive that my son will be willing, but I'm not quite sure he's ready yet ( he's only three). My daughter, on the other hand, can be quite tentative so we'll gauge her attitude toward riding when we get the bike. Both kids will have some time to get used to the idea because neither will be allowed to operate the bike until I get them some proper riding gear.
 
Yesterday, I showed my son a picture of a motorcycle similar to the one that I am going to buy. His comment was that it wasn't green (his favorite color...he may be team Kawasaki). This wasn't really a good start. Then, right after our conversation, he leaped off of our couch doing his best superhero impression. He barely missed cracking his head on the coffee table and slammed on the floor. Maybe this is a terrible idea! This kid lives dangerously enough without adding motorcycles to the equation!
After my panic subsided, I came to the conclusion that teaching him to ride safely at an early age is probably the best course of action, no matter how adventurous he may be. My hair may turn gray a little early, but his joy would be worth it.
 
"It is a wise father that knows his own child." - William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment