Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Future

Source: brand.bmw-motorrad.com
 
 
Recently, I linked a video about a BMW concept motorcycle on the KLK Cycles Facebook page. This thing is radically different than any motorcycle ever conceived (from what I've read/seen anyway). A bike that cannot fall over and that claims to be so safe that the rider does not need a helmet. A nearly autonomous motorcycle. However, it is noted that a motorcycle like this probably won't be available for another thirty years.

At first I was not a huge fan of this bike. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks awesome! In fact it kind of reminds me of Batman's Batpod (see here for my thoughts on that bike). I don't like the idea of taking the danger away from motorcycling. Part of the allure of riding is the inherent danger that goes along with it and removing that would, for lack of a better way to say it, suck!

Then I thought of my dad. He is sixty years old and still rides like a madman, but I notice that he can't recover from a long ride like he used to. He has issues with his back, shoulders, knees, and feet and there is a very real possibility that he may not be able to hold up a motorcycle in the future. If this did happen, the BMW concept would be a great alternative for him. I just hope he lives long enough to see it.

In thirty years I'll be sixty-six, so who's to say I won't be in the same situation as my dad. I'd love to still be able to ride, so I'd get that BMW in a heartbeat. Maybe this new and safer technology is a good thing.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke



No comments:

Post a Comment