Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Lessons Learned and Taking My Own Advice

 
Last year we posted a couple of articles about motorcycle tires (See them here and here). Both of them give some advice on changing your tires to stay safe while getting the most out of each tire. Let's just say I need to follow my own advice.

I have been needing to replace both the front and rear tires on my bike for nearly a month. I actually purchased tires right when I noticed that I needed them, but I haven't replaced them yet. Tires for my current bike are so expensive that I try to get every last mile out of them. Last night I got a sudden reminder that I should quit compromising safety for money savings.

After dinner, my wife asked if I could run to town to pick up a couple of things. These would fit in my backpack, so I could take the bike (always an awesome realization). I made the trip into town without any incident, completed my errand, and headed home. On the way home I passed a slow moving car. After I passed, I felt my rear tire give out, like I was spinning it. I knew this feeling, the tire had been punctured.

I pulled in the clutch and coasted to a stop on the shoulder of the road. While nothing really bad happened, it could have been disastrous. Luckily, I remained calm and got off of the road quickly and safely. I was also lucky that a friend was driving by in his truck soon after the tire blew, so I and my bike had a ride home.

So, I think I learned my lesson with this one. I'm taking my own advice and I'll be replacing my tires much sooner next time. Hopefully you'll listen to my advice too, for your own safety.

"Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin



No comments:

Post a Comment