Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Fun in the Snow

This past weekend was a fun one. I had the chance to break the monotony of winter by getting outside and enjoying some snowmobiling. While it's not motorcycling, any sort of motorsport was much better than sitting on my ass all weekend. When I was riding, I noted to myself the similarities between motorcycling and snowmobiling.

The first similarity is an obvious one...you're straddling a motorized contraption with no protection from the elements except the gear you're wearing. It's my favorite way to enjoy the outdoors, riding at relatively high speeds. Just that alone was a great way to break my winter boredom.

Other similarities related more to the subtle motions I make while riding either a motorcycle or snowmobile. Keep in mind that I did most of my snowmobiling on groomed trails this weekend, not in deep powder. One trail I was riding was extremely twisty and I found myself reverting to my motorcycle headspace. I instinctively started to make sure I kept my gaze on where I needed to be instead of right in front of me (remember cornering 101 in motorcycle safety class?). Also I made sure to create some pressure on the running boards with my inside foot on each corner, similar to what I do with the foot pegs on a motorcycle.

I actually think that snowmobiling in the winter may be a great way to keep your motorcycling skills sharp. However, owning a snowmobiling is really expensive, possibly even more so than a motorcycle. I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money at this time, but I think I can rent or borrow one here and there throughout the winter, so I can actually have some fun. I recommend you do the same to beat your winter blues.

"Love is the power to see similarity in the dissimilar." - Theodor Adorno



No comments:

Post a Comment