Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A Real Terminator?

 
It's happening! Remember my post a few weeks ago discussing the implications that fully autonomous vehicles may have on motorcycling? Now I read this article about the Yamaha MotoBot. My response is...Holy shit!
I'm both excited and frightened by this technology. If the human element is removed from motorcycle testing, just think of the improvements this could create for performance and safety. No matter how skillful and confident a rider may be, his or her survival instinct will limit the ability to push a bike to its absolute limits. MotoBot will not have these limits. However, the thought of a machine operating a motorcycle just seems creepy and (to paraphrase the article) terminator-like.
The safety implications of this technology could be great for motorcycling, no matter how creepy this robot may be. A safer bike will, in my opinion, will create greater acceptance towards motorcycling and keep us all riding for decades to come. I still believe that danger is part of the attraction to motorcycles, but if safer bikes keeps the industry alive, I'm all for them!
"I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle." - Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator 2 - Judgement Day


No comments:

Post a Comment