Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Wave

 
Do you wave when you see other bikes on the road? Everyone who's ever ridden a motorcycle knows that it's proper etiquette to wave to other motorcyclists. There're times that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do so, such as a bike rally. If you waved to every biker at a rally, you'd never be able to put your left hand down. Also, when you have multiple lanes separating you, it's not in your best interest to focus on anything that's not right in front or on either side of you.
 
Back in my younger days (old man talk) I would only wave to someone if they waved to me first. I would always return a wave, but I'd never initiate one. Then, when the other rider wouldn't wave I'd think he/she was an asshole. If I was on my Ducati, I’d instantly think that the people on Harleys who didn’t wave were biased dickheads and when I rode my Harley, I’d think the same about foreign bike riders who didn’t wave. It didn't register to me that the other person could be waiting for me to wave and I could be the asshole.
 
Now I wave to every bike I meet. If they don't wave back, it's their loss. My advice to all bikers is to wave to any rider, no matter what motorcycle they’re on. Hell, even wave to scooters. We're all out in the open on two wheels, so we should acknowledge each other and quit being assholes, like I used to be.
 
"Whil Wheaton says - Don't be a dick." - Whil Wheaton


No comments:

Post a Comment