Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Sons and Fathers


 
Are those of us that love motorcycles born to love them or was it something that was brought on by our experiences? I can’t remember a time that I didn't think it would be the greatest thing ever to throw my leg over a bike and be able to ride. With this knowledge you’d think that I must've been born this way, right? Maybe not...Growing up, my dad (who was my idol) always had a bike. To this day, I don't know a single person who puts more miles on their bike per year then he does (especially when you factor in the 5+ month winters we have here). Basically, I always wanted to be just like my dad, so of course I became a motorcycle fanatic. I guess it's the old "nature vs. nurture" argument that can be used for a lot of different aspects about a human.
 
The thing that really got me to ponder this was my son. I've mentioned his like for motorcycles before (here) and I don't feel that I consciously push him into liking them, so maybe was born this way. However, his life is constantly filled with bikes. I ride, a lot of my friends ride, and both of his grandfathers ride, so it can go without saying that he sees multiple motorcycles in any given day. Also, he sees me staring at every single motorcycle that crosses my path; this definitely has to make an impact on him. He actually notices them before I do nowadays, yelling "cycle" whenever he sees one.
 
So what's the answer? I honestly don't know. It would be awesome if my son was as into bikes as much as I am or my dad is, but as long as he finds something he's passionate about, I'll be happy. It would be all kinds of awesome if he rides motorcycles, plays football, lifts weights, and listens to metal though...just saying.
 
“You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father and the father the son.” – JorEl from Superman: The Movie

No comments:

Post a Comment