Wednesday, April 29, 2015

5 Pet Peeves about Motorcycling



1. Guys riding in shorts.
This weekend it got up to a whopping high of 52°F. I went out for a little ride and bundled up pretty considerably. I met a guy on a sportbike in shorts! This is a douche move when it's 90°, but at 50°, it's a sign of sheer stupidity. I can see it if your riding one mile to your gym or the beach (still dumb, but understandable), but if you ride in shorts when it's perfectly comfortable to ride in full gear, there's an issue.
 
2. People who open garage doors to show off their bikes on nice days, but never ride them.
This really seems to happen around this time of year (especially in higher class neighborhoods). You ride by a house and a freshly washed bike is sitting in a driveway. Pass by again 4 hours later and it's in the same spot! Bikes are meant to be ridden, asshole!
 
3. Buying a brand new bike for your first.
See here for a more detailed explanation of this pet peeve. This is coming from a guy who just bought a brand new bike, but I've been riding for over 20 years.
 
4. Riding beyond your limits.
Don't get me wrong...I have nothing against stunting, going fast, or even pushing your riding ability. Just don't hop on a Hayabusa right off the bat and run it at full throttle (that would be insanely fast for those of you that don't know). Take baby steps, gain some skill and coordination and get to know your bike. If you're going to do wheelies and stoppies (I'm not recommending it) do it in an empty parking lot instead of showing off in front of a crowd. Once you are comfortable with your skills, maybe you can show off a little, but remember, cops are everywhere!
 
5. Riders thinking that there subsection of the motorcycling sport is the greatest and all others suck (sport vs cruiser, etc).
We are all after the same thing, joy on two wheels. We should all remember that! See here for a better explanation of my feelings on this.
 
“I have so many pet peeves that I can’t even pet them all. And damn I wish they were furry.” ― Jarod Kintz

No comments:

Post a Comment