Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Half-Assed Fan

 
 
I've always called myself a "half-assed" fan of a lot of things. Motorcycling has been my biggest focus for the past twenty-five years, but I dabble in other interests. I call myself a half-assed fan of music, comics, and weight training. I enjoy each of these things quite a bit, but I can't dedicate enough time to truly call myself a fan.

How do I know I'm a half-assed fan? Usually I figure this out by having a discussion with a true fan and getting overwhelmed with the knowledge of this person. Conversations usually are sparked by the shirt I'm wearing (I have multiple band and superhero shirts).

I'll enter a store wearing my Wolverine t-shirt and run into someone who suddenly has excitement written all over their face. The conversation will lead into specific issues of a comic that I have no idea about. I just nervously nod and agree with whatever the person is saying, desperately listening for something familiar in what they're describing.

This can be even worse with music. I own a Slayer shirt, which I wear on occasion. I do truly like their music and am pretty knowledgeable about it. However, Slayer fans are usually diehards and you better be prepared to have an in depth conversation if you wear a Slayer shirt. I've tried to keep up with discussions about specific shows on Slayer's tours and deep tracks that only the most dedicated fan would know of. This also can lead into discussions of obscure metal bands that I have never heard of.

I bring all of this up, because I wonder if I do this to half-assed motorcycle enthusiasts when I talk to them. I hope I don't frighten people by an extremely in depth conversation about something they aren't that knowledgeable about. My advice to anyone in this situation is to steer the conversation toward subjects you know and let on that you may not have as much knowledge as the other person. Hopefully, you'll learn something new about a subject you enjoy, even if you're just a half-assed fan.

"You can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind." - Kurt Vonnegut



No comments:

Post a Comment