Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Unidentified Flying Yamaha


Remember my Yamaha DT Enduro 100 (see here)? Here's another adventure involving that bike.
I was 13ish and a few of my friends and I decided to go camping. My buddy also had a dirt bike, a Yamaha RT 100, which actually used the same engine as my much older DT. We rode to a place about a half mile away from my friend's house. It was extremely sandy there, beach sand. I was very unfamiliar with riding on sand, so I was pretty timid. I rode in first gear while dragging my feet to stay stable. Of course, my friends laughed at and mocked me mercilessly for this (which they should've, everyone needs friends to break their balls once in a while).
After we made it to the campsite, we set up our tents and made a fire. At about dusk, we looked into the sky and saw a f&%$ing UFO! I'm not the type of guy that'll claim that this was an alien siting, but we saw an object that was flying and we couldn't identify it (Unidentified Flying Object). We made jokes about this, but underneath all our bravado we were pretty shaken up.
Fast forward a couple of hours, we heard tires squealing and guys yelling. The crazy friend in our bunch decided to yell back. All of a sudden, headlights were coming down the trail and we could hear revving engines coming closer. This was probably some older kids cruising around having a good time, but in our already heightened state of fear we thought our lives were in danger.
I ran over to my bike and in one quick motion I swung my leg over, put my foot on the kickstarter and kicked the bike started. My buddy hopped on the back with me and we were off! My friend with the RT was not having luck getting his bike started (so much for newer being better). I didn't wait around, I was gone! Suddenly riding on loose sand wasn't a problem! I was flying through it in fifth gear and full throttle. This is how I learned that speed is good when on sand (hell, speed is always good).
My buddy did end up starting his bike and he actually passed me (I guess newer bikes are better). We made it back to his house and slept on his floor. The next day we went back and of course nothing was messed with. Like I mentioned before, I’m sure it was just a bunch of older kids who heard us yell back at them and thought there was a party at our campsite. I still want to know what the hell the UFO was, though!
“If instead of saucers, UFOs looked more like breasts, I’ll bet there’d be a lot more people trying to take pictures of them.”  - Jarod Kintz


No comments:

Post a Comment