Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Full Throttle Duck

So, I know that I've been pretty tough on people and actions that I have deemed unintelligent. To show that I'm just as guilty (if not more) than the rest of you bikers and bikettes, here's one of my infamous motorcycle moments.

My first bike was a 1977 Yamaha DT 100 enduro. My dad bought it for me when I was 11. He spent $180 on the bike and $20ish on parts it needed. Wow, did I love that bike! My friends who had newer and nicer ones poked a little fun (nicknamed it the duck for its yellow color and bill, like fender - see photo), but I didn't care.

One fine summer day, while riding home from my parents' business, I decided that it was definitely time to show off what this bike could do! I had one of my buddies on the back and I met another friend on the way, who was on his own bike. I went through all the gears and held the throttle wide open for the entire 3 mile trip home (please note that I grew up in the country and half this trip was on a dirt road). The bike topped out at around 65 mph (so the speedo said), which is fast for a kid of 13.

My friend and I pulled in to my yard, where I locked up the back brake and skidded to a stop, leaving a cool little tire strip (awesome for a 13 year old). I hopped off of the bike, ready to brag about how fast I went and then I looked down the road. Shit! My mom was pulling into the yard! In all of my glory, I never bothered to check behind me. She had been close enough for long enough to know that I was going way too fast.

So, after a long reprimand and getting my riding privileges revoked, I learned my lesson. Well, at least I learned that you should check if your mom's around before you show off!

“To be old and wise, you must first have to be young and stupid.” – Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment