Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Motorcycle Wisdom


Today I had a discussion with a colleague about using brand new software vs. older versions. Another guy, who recently graduated from university, saved a file using the latest version of a software. When I or my colleague tried opening the file, we received an error. It took a few tries for us to realize that we needed to use the latest version of the software to open this file. We had a bit of a laugh and realized that both of us default to using the oldest version that we have. This habit is created from experience. A lot of the time, clients or other companies do not have latest versions of software and are unable to open files if you do not create them with the same version or a previous one. After experiencing issues enough times, you figure out ways to avoid them.
 
I walked away from my colleague and began to think about how this related to motorcycling. With experience, a rider will learn little tricks that make riding a little easier. These can include roads to avoid, how to ride in different types of weather, ways to avoid fatigue on long rides, and much more. You can improve your riding abilities with these tricks without necessarily improving your riding skill.
 
A great way to get this wisdom a little early is to ask an experienced rider. Ask them which roads are bad, or which gas stations have terrible fuel. Use their knowledge to make your riding experience better. My dad used to try to educate me on some of these when I was younger, but like most youngsters I didn’t heed much of his advice. Be smarter than me, listen to your elders! Well...listen about riding tricks at least.
 
“Young men have a passion for regarding their elders as senile.” - Henry Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment