Wednesday, February 4, 2015

A Monster Decision


In October 1999, I was a 19 year old college student with money burning a hole in my pocket. I happened to receive a bunch of scholarship money for the upcoming semester, so school was paid for. During the summer I saved quite a bit of money from my lumber piling job. I decided I needed a new bike.

That same year, my grandfather had become terminally ill. He was sent to a veteran's hospital about 250 miles away to get treatment. My family made the trip pretty often and as sad as this time was, I always looked forward to stopping at a small motorcycle shop on the way that dealt in exotic bikes. They had Triumphs, Moto Guzzis, BMW's, Aprilias, Benellis, and of course Ducatis.

Every time I stopped in I was drawn to one bike, the Ducati Monster 750 Dark. It was the perfect color, matte black (my favorite then and now) and I’d loved the look of the Monster since I saw a picture in Cycle World. Now, I had money saved up, but it wasn’t enough for a brand new Ducati. My dad, seeing me drool over this bike, said he’d pay for the rest. Did I mention that I have the world’s coolest dad?

I drove there in my dad's van with a friend on a Friday after school. We arrived right before the shop closed, paid for the bike in cash, loaded it up, and drove home. On the way back it snowed pretty heavy and I put the van in the ditch after losing control on about 6 inches of slush. The ditch was a really deep one and when we reached the bottom, the van rocked, almost tipping over. Right when the van was at the point of rolling, the momentum stopped and it dropped back onto its wheels. If the bike wasn't in the van, it would have rolled for sure. Let's just say, that this Ducati has always been my good luck charm.

Now fifteen plus years later, I have sold the Monster. Why? I guess it's time for an upgrade. Am I sad to see it go? Absolutely! There are countless memories I've made on this bike (I'll probably write about at least some of them). I am sure that the only reason my wife started dating me was that she loved the bike (she adamantly denies this, but I know the truth). Wait! Do you think she's gonna leave now that I’m getting rid of the bike?!! Shit!

“May good luck be your friend in whatever you do and may trouble be always a stranger to you.” – Irish Blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment